September 29th, 2012 | By Robert Bury
Boo! Did I scare you? No? Well, it was worth a try, I guess. Anyway today, I’m going to introduce you to two, new, super scary Minecraft mobs!
The first new addition to the Minecraft “Pretty Scary” update is the Witch mob. Appearance-wise it seems to be a Villager dressed up as a witch. However the texture has been reported to be broken in some Snapshots, so it may not render properly for you. At first glance the Witch may not be intimidating but with the twitch of its nose, it begins to throw Potions which (pun intended) can damage the player. To our demise the potions can range from Potions of Weakness to Potions of Poison. Furthermore our negative potions currently have no affect on the Witch mob. There is one weakness to the Witch’s magic, and that is once you damage the Witch to a certain extent it will begin to drink a Potion of Regeneration. Not so good for us right? Wrong. Actually the potion may heal the Witch, but at the same time it provides the opportunity for you to rush in for the kill. In conclusion, the Witch is a cool, yet difficult Mob that we look forward to seeing again (not!). In this case, it is easy to determine that this is really a treat, rather than a trick!
- Witches are going to spawn naturally in the newly added Spawn Hut generated structure
- Although the Witch mob is not an actual Villager, its textures are still found under the Villager folder in the minecraft.jar
- Witches have the most mob drops, which may rectify their difficulty
- When caught or set on fire, the Witch mob can drink a Potion of Fire Resistance, and resist fire for a period of time
- Witches can attack other Mobs, and Iron Golems will attack Witches as well
Yes there are many cheap puns that come to mind here. However, I will resist my urge to write them, although it is driving me absolutely batty. Jokes aside one of the newest Mobs that will be added in the “Pretty Scary” update are Bats. Bats are reported to spawn in dark, large areas, or obviously through the use of Spawn Eggs. Anyway the ravine that you forgot to light up, may become a bit more frightening. Bats are very small, and they are also a Neutral mob that can’t cause any damage to the players. Also Bats sleep during the day and become active during the night. The only purpose of Bats seem to be to scare the player, and to help provide a scary atmosphere when caving in the dark but again, they are harmless.
- Bats are the only Passive Mob with the ability to fly, as well it’s the only flying mob to spawn in the Overworld
- Bats are the second smallest Mob in the game, only to baby chickens
- Bats can trample crops, causing the farmland to return to Dirt
- Bats seem to fly randomly, and at times, even into Lava
- When forced into a Minecart Bats can currently move it around on their own
So, that concludes this Minecraft Snapshot update. Before I go I have one more question. Would you like to see more of Mobs using items similarly to the Witch? Leave your response in the comments below. Next Thursday, I’ll discuss the new items and Mechanics in Minecraft!